Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Trinkets: Native Alaskan Art

Seventeen countries... seventeen trinkets.  Now it's time for trinkets from my own country, one from each state in a random order.

I'll start with Alaska.

Himself worked as the medical officer on a fish processor in The Bering Sea, Prince William Sound, and near Ketchikan.  In 2008 I was able to spend 3 weeks about his ship... but before flying down to Adak I spent 4 days in Anchorage exploring.  

At one of the museums I visited I was given a recommendation of a shop that sold only Native Alaskan made arts and crafts (which for the life of me I can not remember its name, just that it was on the south side of the city).  All the pieces had a certificate of authenticity and photo of the artist.


It was there I found my Inuit drummer.

He is carved from Alaskan marble.  His face is carved from fossilized walrus ivory and the ruff of his parka is seal.


His drum is a slice of caribou antler and the stick is a piece of sea grass.


And he is standing on a piece of whale bone.

Sometimes a trinket is a piece of art...



Linked at:

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!! Alaska and up in the Nothern Artic circle is definitely on my "to go" list!

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.